“History, historical life, will only be seen in the right light when a true consciousness of the connection of the so-called living with the so-called dead can be developed” – The Living and the Dead by Rudolf Steiner, Berlin, 5th February, 1918
April 24, 2016 – On this Day in History:
1184 BC – The fall of Troy
1479 BC – Thutmose III ascends to the throne of Egypt
1704 – The Boston News, The first newspaper in Colonial America, is published
1877 – Russo-Turkish War: Russian Empire declares war on Ottoman Empire
Death Day – 1891 – Helmuth von Moltke the Elder, a German Field Marshal. Moltke was sent as adviser to the Ottoman general commanding the troops in Anatolia, who was to carry on a campaign against Muhammad Ali of Egypt. Moltke navigated the rapids of the Euphrates & mapped many parts of the Ottoman Empire, riding several thousand miles in the course of his journey. On 24 June 1839, the Ottoman army was beaten.
1915 – Armenian Genocide – The Ottoman government’s systematic extermination of its minority Armenian subjects inside their historic homeland, which lies within the present-day Republic of Turkey.
~ ~ ~
Calendar of the Soul – Fifth Week [April 24, 2016 – April 30, 2016]
Within the light that out of spirit depths
Weaves germinating power into space
And manifests the gods’ creative work:
Within its shine, the soul’s true being
Is widened into worldwide life
From narrow selfhood’s inner power. ~RS
~ ~ ~
Healing Plants & their planetary associations
- People, plants, planets & constellations are made of the same elements (fire, earth, air & water) & the same energies (hot/dry, hot/moist, cold/dry, cold/moist). This commonality facilitates our connection with nature & the universe.
- The human body is a miniature replica of our solar system with each body part & system symbolically representing a sign & planet.
- Nature often has a way to tell us what a specific plant is good for. This belief has even been attributed to Adam who, in naming the creatures in the Garden of Eden, understood that each name has the power to describe the essence of things.
Celestial correspondences were established by keenly observing what a plant is good for, detailed in the ‘Doctrine of Signatures’, & by using the language of astrology & its rich, ancient contribution to our medical wisdom. Let’s focus on some aspects of the ‘Doctrine of Signatures’, attributed to Paracelsus (1493- 1541), & begin to understand the richness of its philosophy.
Appearance of Plants
- Sun: Plants with heart shaped leaves are used for heart ailments. Plants with yellow flowers (Calendula, St. John’s Wort) & plants that turn towards the sun (Dandelion) are associated with the Sun.
- Mars: Plants with thorns or prickles (Milk Thistle, Nettle) are identified with Mars, the planet symbolizing a pioneer, combative spirit.
- Saturn: Plants that exhibit a knobby quality may remedy swollen joints, the body part associated with Capricorn, ruled by Saturn. Perennials with long lives (Mullein), plants with annual rings or woody plants (Kava Kava) are also identified with Saturn, the planet of aging.
- Mercury: Plants with hairy, fuzzy leaves (Mullein) often correspond to the cilia of the mucus membranes of the lungs, the body part associated with Gemini, ruled by Mercury. Plants that have finely divided leaves like the bronchi of lungs (Dill, Fennel) or vines that grow on trees (Honeysuckle) are also associated with Mercury, the planet of communication & planet ruling the nervous system.
- Venus: Plants with lots of mucilage (Marshmallow) soothe irritated mucus membranes, associated with Taurus, ruled by Venus. Plants with beautiful flowers (Vervain, Violet) or red fruits (Raspberry) are also linked with Venus, the planet symbolizing beauty.
- Moon: Plants with little white or pale yellow flowers (Cleavers) & plants with juicy leaves (Catnip) or moon shaped leaves (Caraway).
- Jupiter: Large edible plants (Burdock, Centaury), that remind people of the planet of expansion.
- Neptune: Plants growing in or near the ocean (Dulse, Kelp) as Neptune is the Lord of the Oceans.
- Sun: Plants beneficial to the heart and circulation (Motherwort, Ginger)
- Mars: Plants growing under adversity (Elder, Beet, Blackberry).
- Venus: Herbs that calm overindulgence in food (Burdock, Vervain, Sage).
- Saturn: Plants that are grounding (Ho Shu Wu) & help one complete projects on the material plane.
- Mercury: Plants that are good for the nervous system (Skullcap, Lavender).
- Moon: Plants that may affect the subconscious. Plants living by the water (Peppermint, Watercress).
- Jupiter: Herbs that promote a positive frame of mind & expansion (Oatstraw).
- Neptune: Mystical herbs that are helpful in dream work (Skullcap) or help bring physical concepts to the next plane (Willow).
- Uranus: Herbs that are hybrids & easy to transplant as Uranus is the planet of sudden changes. Herbs that energize, stimulate & promote inspiration (Cinnamon, Cloves).
- Pluto: Herbs beneficial for enhancing sexuality (Damiana, Saw Palmetto) & for balancing the physical & spiritual aspects of a personality.
Healing Blessings & Peace ~hag = Hazel Archer Ginsberg